A guardian angel to watch over him...

Saturday, 25 February 2012

BabyMoo is a pretty easy baby to care for, save for the initial first couple of months, which as most parents will attest, can be a trying time especially for first timers. Even back then, he drank, slept, poo and pee like clockwork, and we've never had trouble feeding or caring for him. Lack of sleep aside, he was a dream baby - no reflux, no illnesses.

Voracious appetite (up till now!) so much so that I had to supplement BM with formula. He was started on 60ml, and by the 2nd week, he was drinking 80ml every two hours, 120ml every 4 hours by the time he's one month old, and still yelled for more. We had to control his intake - which resulted in screams for a good 10 minutes after he finishes his bottle. He wasn't of epic proportions when he came out (3.41 kg, 50cm) but on the 2nd month, he weighed in at 6.5kg and measured 57cm.

One month old

Two months old

The moment he hit the 2nd month, he slept throughout the night, while I worried myself silly, hovering over his crib the entire night for that whole week cos his 2 hourly in built alarm clock wasn't working!

He grew... and grew. A happy, chubby, healthy baby. Never a fever, cough, or a sniffle.

MummyMoo went back to work (sniff) when he turned 100 days, and the arrangement was such that he was to be sent to my in-laws place to be cared for during the day.

Now I start work at 10.30am, and finish at 8.00pm daily... and the challenge was such that my in-laws' place is in the East, while we stay in the West. A good 20 min drive (post peak hours), but since we don't have a car, we became Comfort Cab regulars.

Apart from the fact that the cab fares were (and worse now, after the fare hike!) burning a hole in our pockets, BabyMoo couldn't get used to the travelling to and fro.

He fell sick.

Poor babe was so unlike his usual self, but there was nary a whimper from him. He was just quiet... and it broke my heart to see him try to breathe through his blocked nose, and sneezing his little nose off. After he recovered, we decided to only pick him up on alternate days. The first 2 weeks was the hardest. DaddyMoo and I suddenly found ourselves in an all too empty and quiet existence, and I felt a tightening in my heart that refuses to go away.

But we managed, somehow, and against everything... we made do.

Until the time he fell sick again. I think the fact that my nephew, who stays with my in-laws as well, is of school going age, and was also falling sick every other week also had something to do with it. This time it was worse... he was coughing, sneezing and upset.

BabyMoo is ill!

So I decided for the sake of my sanity, and so that I can catch some shut eye during the night, to let him sleep with us. DaddyMoo suggested it first... seeing that Baby was having difficulty breathing at times.

That night, I was jolted awake by the feel of BabyMoo being carried off the bed. I saw the husband carrying him up and turning him over, and (crazy as it seems) I was reminded of a Baby Merlion the way he was heaving. He threw up all over the place... till there was nothing left but bile.

I was terrified beyond words... but what I will take away until the day I die, will be BabyMoo's face after the deed was done. He clung on to me (first time he ever hugged me in a huggy sort of way!) and he had this shocked expression on his face, as though he had done something wrong. At 5 months and 2 weeks, he has never experienced the regurgitating of food / milk, and perhaps he was unfamiliar with the helplessness and discomfort associated with it.

He was sobbing on my shoulder... and as I washed him down, calming him and telling him that everything was fine and it was not his fault that it happened, the husband told me (in a mixture of awe and disbelief) that he was woken up by Baby's persistent thumps on his chest. Not flailing thumping hands, but urgent, methodical pumps by a tiny left hand fist.

BabyMoo was gagging on his own vomit, and no matter what or who helped him wake his Daddy up at that moment, I thank our lucky stars and the powers that be.


  1. Wow, you must have felt so scared and yet so relieved! I've never been through any major regurgitating experience and now I know how awful and also threatening it can be. Thank God baby Moo was able to wake daddy, and by thumping on his chest! Golly!

    1. Yes... it was pretty scary now that I think back on it - but at that moment, we didn't have time to be scared, because we were busy ensuring that his airways were clear and he was consoled.

      Amazing that we even knew what to do :)

      Up till today, I do believe that there was someone watching over him. And he is blessed.



Powered by Motherhood